Monday, October 22, 2012

Trick? Or treat?!



Anyone that knows me knows that I LOVE holidays, especially Halloween!  It is one of my favorite holidays (oh who am I kidding?..All the holidays are my favorites... except Valentine's day... but that is another story and I'm getting better about that...yay me!)  But anyway...I. Love. Halloween!  I love everything about it (except gory horror movies and especially not Michael Myers... yikes!) I love dressing up, I love seeing what costumes my kids are going to show up in for our school party, I love seeing all the Trick-or-Treaters, I love jack-o-lanters, and candy.... I love candy! 

But a Celiac Halloween is a bit different that your average person's Halloween.  You see to us...not all candy is created equally.  And sometimes it can be a real pain in the you know what to figure out what is safe, because companies are constantly changing ingredients and processing of the treats.  It all feels a little more trickish than treatish!


Lucky for us Celiacs, the good people at MyGlutenFacts.com do all the work for us!  They update this list every year before Halloween and include extensive information on how the candy is produced. They indicate if it is made in a dedicated gluten free facility (DF), on a dedicated gluten free equipment line in a facility that does process wheat (DL), or on equipment that is cleaned after processing gluten containing products but before processing the gluten free products (CL).  This alphabetical list can be narrowed down according to processing depending on your sensitivity.  You can also search by brand or keyword if you are questioning something in particular.  Easy peasy... but please remember that this is just a guide.  It is still necessary to check labels before buying anything just to be 100% sure.  But at least this gives us somewhere to start.  Also, with 385 items on the list there should be something that appeals to all trick-or-treaters, both big and small!  I posted the link for you all below and I hope it allows you to spend less time worrying and more time enjoying Halloween!

http://www.myglutenfacts.com/2012-gluten-free-halloween-candy-list/

So thank you MyGlutenFacts.com for making our lives so much easier! I hope you all put their hard work to good use and find yourselves something you like!  My personal favorite is Reese's Peanut Butter Pumpkins... why do they taste so much better when they are shaped like pumpkins?!

Stay tuned to hear about one of my favorite Halloween traditions and hear what I finally decided to dress up as!


No comments :

Post a Comment