Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Garden Fresh Roasted Cherry Tomato Salsa

I make a ton of this stuff this time of year. My garden is overflowing with tomatoes and jalapenos.  Using and roasting the cherry tomatoes gives this such a sweet fruity flavor that lets you get away with throwing in a lot more heat!




Roasted cherry tomato salsa 


3 cups cherry tomatoes
1 onion
8 garlic cloves
4 jalapenos
1 T EVOO
Sea salt
Juice of one lime
1 big handful cilantro
1/4 t cumin
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t oregano 

Slice the onion in quarters.  Slice the garlic cloves and cherry tomatoes in half. Slice the jalapenos in half, remove the seeds if you want, I don't, I'm spicy like that!  Put it all cut side down on an electric griddle (I use the griddle because I don't want to use my oven when it's so damn hot out, but you can get the same results with an oven). Drizzle the oil all over the top and sprinkle with the sea salt and other seasoning.  I roast them on the griddle at about 350 for about an hour.  This seems like a long time, but it's so worth it, and you can get so much shit done while you wait and enjoy the aroma of the roasting veggies!  Once they are good and roasted throw them, along with the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend til you get your desired consistency. Then just try to wait til it cools to eat it.  Good luck with that!😉


4 comments :

  1. Wow! This is so delicious 😋 I used Juliet and Sun Sugar. I roasted 3 sheet pans and ended up with 4 pints and a little extra that is already gone! I mixed 2 of the jars 1/2 and 1/2 and 2 of the jars Sun Sugar only... I am going to try freezing a couple jars, hopefully that will work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was terrific! Needed a way to use up all those cherry tomatoes and this was perfect. So easy and delicious. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did it work freezing the salsa?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so good! I made more than your recipe because I wanted to can some. I did a few things different.
    I used mesquite smoked salt instead of sea salt.
    I used all kinds of tomatoes from my garden (cherry, yellow pear, black beauty, and regular sized tomatoes.
    I didn’t use as many jalapeños. I have coolapenos in my garden. I used them and some Anaheim peppers.
    It came out tasting exactly like the salsa at La Hacienda Ranch Restaurant in Frisco, TX! (My all time favorite!)

    ReplyDelete