Thursday, November 5, 2015

Preschool Scientists... Pumpkin Guts Craft!

I shared in this post that my preschoolers learned how awesome pumpkins are!  One of the kiddos favorite parts was reading "Pumpkin Jack" and then seeing a pumpkin that grew at my house the same way the pumpkin in the book did!  Then we cut the pumpkin open and got to see, feel, smell, and even taste what was inside.


I wanted to tell you a little more about the craft we did to recreate pumpkin guts!





Pumpkin Guts Craft


Orange Construction Paper
Yellow Yarn
Pumpkin Seeds
Small Clear Plates (I found mine at Dollar Tree)
Scissors
Glue Sticks
Brown Construction Paper
Hot Glue and Hot Glue Gun


To prepare everything, first trace the plate onto the orange paper.  Cut out the needed number of circles.  Cut the yarn into long pieces.  Cut the brown paper into pumpkin stem shapes.


I set the cut open pumpkin on the table and called a couple of children over at a time.  I had them set the orange circle in front of them and cut the yarn into shorter pieces.  We need to work on our cutting skills and holding scissors the correct way so this was great practice.  Next I had them put glue in the middle of their circle and stick the yarn down.  This represented the fibrous strands inside our pumpkin.  I had them glue the brown stem sticking off the top.  Then we practiced our counting and counted out 11 seeds (our number of the week) and place them in the middle of the yarn.  I put hot glue all around the edge of the plate and carefully placed it onto the orange circle.



They loved that they made a pumpkin that they could see inside!



No comments :

Post a Comment