Thursday, February 7, 2013

Gluten Free Medicines


It's that time of year again.  Everyone is sick!  I can't remember the last day of school that we weren't missing someone.  So it's constant kleenex, hand sanitizer (I use Method brand from target... its GF!), and hand washing until my knuckles bleed in an attempt to stay healthy.  But as hard as you try to beat the bugs you can't win all the battles... so it is always good to know what medicines are Celiac safe.


I just had a horrific experience with a so-called doctor.  We won't name names, but the doctor was going to prescribe a specific drug to me and I obviously asked if it was gluten free.  And my oh my... the response I recieved should not have been the response of an educated medical professional.  Instead of a knowledgable answer, or even an honest "I don't know but I'll find out" it was just laughter.  Yes, the doctor laughed in my face!  I was beyond disgusted, not to meantion fuming, but at the same time not too surprised.  I'm sure the look on my face was none too pleasant because the doctor kept digging.  And the worst part... "how much gluten could really be in there... it won't hurt you"... coming from the doctor who started the process of getting me diagnosed with Celiac.  She had dug herself a pretty deep trench by the time she was done talking to me.  I ended up talking to the pharmacist myself and we figured out the yes in fact Tamiflu is gluten free.  And guess what... it wasn't that hard to find the information!

Ok celiac might not be considered disabling, but this sure made me think of all the doctors I've dealt with that don't have a damn clue about what it is... All I can do is laugh..
OK... it isn't all that disabling, but we can still relate!
 
 The worst part is that this isn't the first, and probably wont be the last doctor to respond like that to that question.  I had a doctor who looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if an antibiotic was gluten free.  He said "Gluten is a protien found in wheat, malt, barely, and rye... It's not in antibiotics".   I said it is a common binding agent in a lot of medicines and he then looked at me with a blank expression and said well it won't hurt you.  And this man somehow made it through medical school??  Needless to say he is no longer my doctor.  This sadly is the realilty of medicine today.  So it is up to us to take our health into our own hands and get the information for ourselves.

Thankfully, I have never met a pharmacist who wasn't helpful when it came to helping me determine if medicines were gluten free.  This information on Gluten Free Drugs was put together by one of these amazing pharmacists.... thank you amazing pharmacist!  The site says that the info was obtained from multiple sources such as direct contact with the drug manufacturers or with another individual who had contacted the manufacturers.  An email is also listed if you have questions or concerns when it comes to the information. The site is continually updated, but remember it is for informational purposes only and although an effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information it is still your responsibility to double check.  This lists both OTC and prescription drugs.  I reference it as a guide on where to even begin.  The drugs are listed both alphabetically and by use.  If a doctor wants to prescribe me a specific drug I look it up alphabetically.  If I am searching for something for a specific reason it is easy to see all my choices on the list that is by theraputic use.  I always double check with a pharmacist and scan the ingredients myself just to make sure, and I haven't been steered wrong yet! 

The links for the different information are below.  I am hoping that none of my readers need to refer to this list in the near future, but reality is someone probably will...damn bugs!  Hopefully this will make getting over your sickness a lot easier!


This list has the drugs divided up according to use:
http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/Glutenlist.htm

This list has the drugs listed alphabetically:
http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/list.htm

This is some good information on different ingredients commonly found in medicines and their sources:
http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/Excipients.htm

No comments :

Post a Comment