Thursday, February 27, 2014

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole... Gluten Free & Dairy Free!

Adapting recipes to be gluten free comes natural to me, like I could probably do it in my sleep! Dairy free on the other hand... that has been a bit of a struggle, especially when it came to casseroles.

I have not found a decent dairy free substitute for cheese.  It may be a lack of resources in my little community, or it may be that what I have in mind just doesn't exist. Either way, everything I've tried has been a fail.  Sour cream is another one that I haven't found a substitute for. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them! ;)

Cream cheese, milk, and butter I can manage, but a lot of casseroles (at least the ones I always used to make) have a ton of cheese and/or sour cream.  So finding casserole recipes has been a bit of a challenge.  Again... Suggestions are welcomed! ;)

But I'm onto something with this one...

Check out this recipe which gets two thumbs up!

Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole


2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
1 C crushed rice chex
1 t garlic powder
1 T nutritional yeast 
1 T chives     
Whatever other seasonings you like..
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, mixed with the milk
8 oz ham- diced
1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup
   *I make mine from scratch... I'll get the recipe posted soon for you!
1 C almond milk
1. Mix the crumbs, nutritional yeast, & seasonings together. 
2.  Dip chicken in egg and milk mixture, then toss with bread crumb mix, coating well.
3.  Brown in a little oil until golden.
4.   Place chicken in a baking dish, add ham.
5.  Mix soup with 1 cup of milk and pour over all.
6.  Sprinkly any remaining breadcrumb mix on the top.
7.  Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, or until tender and bubbly.
Click here for the original recipe.


No comments :

Post a Comment