Sunday, February 26, 2017

Being proud of your body doesn't have to have anything to do with appearances

 



My body image struggle is no secret.  I can't stop the bad thoughts, but I can change them and my own focus.


One of my favorite ideas to ponder...

 


When shit gets real I don't focus on what I look like, I focus on what I do.  


Instead of giving in to the ridiculous voice inside my head that tells me my biceps aren't strong enough one minute and then too strong the next, I focus on what those arms do for me.  The kids they hug, the yoga they teach, the vehicles they clean.  


Instead of worrying about my grey hair or eczema I focus on what's inside my head.  The brilliant ways my brain comes up with to teach children all kinds of things about the world and themselves, the words I write to share with y'all, the ability to change these thoughts, the crazy amount of song lyrics up in there, and all the sciencey knowledge it carries that helps me gain awareness of how incredible the human body really is.  


And finally instead of fretting over what my abs look like on any given day I marvel at how much of a badass my entire core is.  I mean come on, still functioning every single day despite my body trying to make it commit suicide.  All my intestines are still inside of me, still converting food to fuel, still nourishing my entire body, and still kicking autoimmune disease ass! Now that's amazing! That's something to be proud of.  


No comments :

Post a Comment