Monday, April 15, 2013

Yellow Cake With Chocolate Frosting.. It's Gluten Free, Easy, and Delicious!

 
My family knows the importance of the words "yellow cake with chocolate frosting!"  Every celebration featured that exact treat as THE center of attention.  That is until I was diagnosed with Celiac disease.  Then the YCWCF love was stifled a touch.  But with "Christmas In May" (as my papa calls it because my mama, grandma, sister, and I all have birthdays in May... it's an expensive month for papa!) right around the corner I decided it was time to bust out this recipe and perfect it.
 
Lucky for me this recipe is already gluten free, and easily converted to dairy free too.  My parents had a local cake lady (shout out to Wanda Cakes!) make this exact cake for me for my 21st birthday party (that was soooo long ago!...I'm going on 27!...yikes!) and it was AMAZING.  Of course she has her special touch and noone could even tell it was gluten free.... even in an age that wasn't so gf friendly (before Kim K and a bunch of other celebs tried to jump on the bandwagon and before celiac disease pretty much started attempting to rule our population).  I'm telling you it was so good that I almost cried!  Of course that was the first time I had had cake in two years so it was a pretty emotional experience.  I had never attempted this recipe myself.. and I was pretty sure it wasn't going to live up to Wanda's... but you never know until you try.



Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Recipe

Gluten Free Yellow Cake

 
1 1/2 cups white rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup (almond or coconut) milk
2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
 
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and rice flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
2.Sift the white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set aside.
3.Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread batter into the prepared pans.
4.Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost, if desired.

As for the frosting.... there is really no recipe.... Grandma taught me!  You dump a bunch of powdered sugar in a bowl, add some butter (pretend butter in my case), vanilla, cocoa poweder, and (almond) milk.  You know just a dab of this and a pinch of that... Grandma style!  Keep tasting and mixing until you get it just right.  And then if it is just right you better keep tasting just to make sure! :)  Grandma used to make extra frosting and save some in a bowl for me to snack on... some of my favorite childhood memories!  Slather that Grandma frosting all over your cake (don't be chinsy... make it thick!), add some sprinkles, and you are ready to celebrate any occasion.  Enjoy!  I sure enjoyed mine!
 


Here is one of the May Birthday Girls! 
She is going to be 91 on the 6th!
She makes the BEST chocolate frosting!

1 comment :

  1. this sounds delicious!! I am going to make this for my son's birthday in 2 days! He requested yellow cake with chocolate icing...it's been years since I've made one, since we've been gluten free. Thank you so much for posting this!!!

    ReplyDelete