Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Bloody Mary Sloppy Jimmy's!



I never used to be that girl... you know that one that wants something she can't have.
 
Until Celiac.... Now I find myself wanting things for the simple fact that I can't have them!  Silly things that I have never even had or liked before.
 
Perfect example.... I wanted a Bloody Mary like no other!  I've never even liked Bloody Marys.  Or  tomato juice, or really even vodka for that matter! Not before Celiac, not ever.  But I wanted one, so that means I had to figure out how to make it happen.  I hate letting Celiac win!  I would make a gluten free Bloody Mary.  And it wouldn't be just your average Bloody Mary.... no, it would be one of the best damn Bloody Marys ever mixed.  We don't half ass things around here!
 
I could have done it the hard way and made it all from scratch, but being a bloody mary virgin I didn't even know what a good bloody mary tasted like.  So I figured it would be best to go with a mix.  The problem with Bloody Marys is that there is soooooo much (including worcesteshire sauce) that goes into making a good bloody mary mix.  So if the company isn't loud and proud about it being gluten free and specifying all the ingredient sources there is no way to know if it is really celiac safe or not.  I set out to see if I could find a company that loved us Celiacs.... and I did!
 
 
There were a couple choices at Hy-vee, I chose Jimmy Luv's becasue I liked the name pretty much!
 
                                                                  Check them out here!
 
 
 Now when mixing my Bloody Mary I did not go cheap on the vodka.... It's Tito's for this celiac!  Which is super smooth, and of course gluten free.  I added a dash of Lea & Perrin's and a bit of hot sauce because I like it spicy.  Then I garnished it with celery and salami (I don't like pickels and can't eat cheese, but that's what you should add if you can!). 
 
Yum!!  And you get to feel like you are getting some veges with your cocktail.. bonus!! :)
 
As I set there so proud of my first Bloody Mary sipping it happily I glanced at the bottle and wondered what else I could do with it.... thinking about bloody mary chili and sloppy joe's.   I checked Jimmy Luv's website and found recipes, including for those exact things! 
 
 
 
 
 
2 lbs. ground beef
1 red onion
1 green pepper
1 1/2 cup Jimmy Luv's Bloody Mary Mix
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon minced Jalapeno Pepper

 
Brown ground beef and drain fat. Stir in all ingredients. Let simmer uncovered for 1/2 hour or until sauce reaches desired thickness.
 
 
 
 I call them Sloppy Jimmy's and tweaked them a bit as usual, but they are delicious! Serve them with your favorite gf buns and a Bloody Mary of course!
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment