Thursday, September 3, 2015

Authentic Roasted Salsa




It's that time of year again that we have way too many tomatoes and jalapenos!  My friend who bought a house down the road from us has a giant salsa garden too and she keeps trying to share even more fresh produce with us.


I love a good fresh salsa, but sometimes it can be watery if you just throw cherry tomatoes in the blender whole, and lets face it, getting the skin off the bigger tomatoes makes a huge mess!


I've been learning about making all kinds of real authentic Mexican food from my new neighbor and I love it!  I swear I eat so much Mexican food that I really should be Mexican! 


She told me that I NEEDED to roast the veges.... that's the only way they do it in Mexico.  I've never done this before making salsa..... I don't know why the hell not!  It's so easy and the result is delicious!


Image result for authentic oven roasted salsa

Authentic Roasted Salsa



There's really no science to this... just throw in what you got and make it suit your tastes


2 large onions- peeled and halved
8-10 jalapenos- seeded and halved
(I did add one crazy yellow pepper from Ana's garden- we have no idea what kind it is, but it is spicy even to me... and her!)
1 garlic bulb- cloves peeled and halved
20-30 garden fresh tomatoes- depending on the size- just cut on each side of the core- no need to peel
1 bunch of fresh cilantro
salt & pepper to taste
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 T honey
Squirt of fresh lime juice


Preheat your oven to 375.  Grease a cookie sheet a little.   Place the tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic with the cut side up on your sheet and throw it in the oven.  Let it roast until the peppers look a bit charred and the tomatoes and onions look like they have softened.  I took them out after about 45 minutes.  Let everything cool a bit and then just throw it all in your blender.  Add the fresh cilantro and any seasonings you like.  I just use a squirt of honey, fresh lime juice, about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a bit of salt and pepper.  Let it puree until you get your desired consistency.  That's it.  The hardest part is waiting for the veges to roast!  It smells so amazing it makes you very impatient! :)


Next up I'll tell you what I do with all those tomatillos! :)







No comments :

Post a Comment