Thursday, September 3, 2015

Green Hulk Muffins (GF, DF, Egg Free, Peanut Free)

My old preschool closed. :(


I was super bummed about it and thinking I wouldn't have any little people in my life anymore on a daily basis... you know unless I created my own (which would make my mama very happy).


Mr. Kat asked me if I could do anything what would it be.  After I considered owning a car museum or custom car shop I decided to think of something a little more realistic. :)  I said I want to teach kids about nutrition!  I didn't know how to make it happen and was just planning on hanging out for a while until I decided what to do.


One of my friends got a job at a preschool and they asked her if she knew any preschool teachers looking for a job.... she gave them my name and the rest is history!


I didn't find it, it found me!  I wasn't even sure about it to begin with.  But the part of my resume that the director latched onto was the part about my interest in nutrition.  They wanted to add nutrition as part of their enrichment program.....Totally meant to be!  I have my own three year old class and then in the afternoons I go to all of the other classrooms and teach them about nutrition!  And I absolutely love it!


God won't close one door without knowing for sure that there is another one waiting for you.


I made these muffins as part of my Fruit and Vegetable Fill Up week and the kids are still talking about them!  I sent the recipe home and kids have made their big people get all the ingredients so they could make them.  The other teachers are even making them at home too.  My favorite part about these is one of our little guys that has severe food allergies got to have them too!  After not being able to participate in so many snacks and parties at school that involve food his face just lit up when I told him that I talked to his Mommy and that he could eat these muffins!  Thanks Green Hulk!! :)




Green Hulk Muffins







  • 2 C Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (Sarah's Blend)
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup coconut oil
  • ¾ cup coconut milk
  • 1 (6 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
  • ½ cup mashed banana (from about 1 to 2 bananas)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract


  • Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare your muffin pans with paper liners or oil.  Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.  In a blender, place everything else and blend until completely puréed.  Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula until completely combined.  Fill muffin cups about ⅔ full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

    I used my "muffin barge" as Mr. Kat calls it.
    The kids love the little bite sized muffins!
    They kept asking for more




    I told the kids that they were green because the Hulk helped me make them!  They couldn't believe that they ate spinach! Sneaky Miss Kat! :)


    A few of the 4 year old boys loving Green Hulk Muffins
    and getting greens in their bellies!


    The original recipe is here.





    No comments :

    Post a Comment