Thursday, June 9, 2016

Gluten Free & Dairy Free Enchiladas with homemade red sauce

I can't eat the red sauce at my fave Mexican place because they thicken it with flour.  It turned into one of those want-what-you-can't-have moments....


So.... Naturally, this happened...



Red Enchilada Sauce

EVOO - 3 T
Brown Rice Flour  - 1 1/2 T
Chili Powder - 3 T
Chicken Stock - 2 1/2 C
Tomato Paste - 6 oz
Dried Oregano - 1 t
Ground Cumin - 1 t
Garlic Powder - 1/2 t
Onion Powder - 1/2 t
Salt - 1/2 t
Sugar - 1/4 t

Heat oil in a saucepan. Sprinkle flour over oil and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, don't let it burn! Stir in the chili powder and continue to cook for another 30 seconds.  Whisk in stock, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings if you need to.

This was so easy to make!  And it was no big deal to substitute the brown rice flour to make this sauce GF.... I'll keep on Miguel to fix it at the restaurant! ;)

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Enchiladas

(This made about 8 enchiladas)

1 batch of red enchilada sauce
1 lb taco meat- I used ground turkey, but you can use whatever you like
1 can black beans
1/4 C water
3 T taco seasoning
1 red onion- diced
1 jalapeno- diced
4 garlic cloves- minced
2 C spinach- cut up a bit- gotta sneak some greens in ;)
8 GF tortillas/wraps- I used the LiveGF large wraps- you can use corn tortillas if you want, just warm them in a warmer first so they don't fall apart when you are assembling your enchiladas

Heat EVOO over medium.  Add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic.  Let sauté a bit.  Add your choice of meat.  Once cooked add the black beans.  Add the water and taco seasoning and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add the spinach and cook until it shrinks up a bit.

Preheat your oven to 375.  Grease a 9x 13 dish.  Pour about one cup of the enchilada sauce into the dish.  Fill each tortilla with about a 1/2 C of the meat mixture, then roll up and set carefully in the dish.  The sauce on the bottom kinda helps it hold together better.  Pour the remaining sauce on the top.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Top with cheese if you want (Daiya of course) and bake another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is nice and melty.  I served mine with Mexican rice.

I don't have a finished picture...
We were too busy eating them!!
My Mexican neighbors wanted to come over for dinner when they heard I was making enchiladas. I said not this time, I have to make sure they are good first!! ;)  And they were! I'll invite them over next time!

The original recipe for the enchilada sauce is here.  The enchiladas I just made up as I went along! ;)




No comments :

Post a Comment