Sunday, March 15, 2015

Easy Gluten & Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits

A while back I shared how I make my own GF DF Bisquick.  It is so easy and handy to have around!

One of my favorite things to make with these?... Biscuits! Duh!

Easy Gluten & Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits

2 C GF DF Bisquick
2 t baking powder
1 t sea salt
1 stick of butter- cold (I use Earth Balance sticks to keep it dairy free)
2 eggs- beaten
2/3 C buttermilk- about 1/2 T lemon juice with enough coconut milk to make it 2/3C


Mix the lemon and coconut milk and let it sit while you prepare the rest.  Preheat your oven to 400.  Mix the bisquick, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.  Cut in the butter and mix it well with a pastry blender (or if you're super classy like me just use a fork).  Do this until your mixture is crumbly.  Add the beaten eggs and stir a bit.  Slowly pour in the buttermilk while stirring.  Your dough will be fluffyish.  It's also pretty sticky so it doesn't work so well to roll out and cut out into biscuit shapes.  Instead I just put scoops of dough into a greased cast iron skillet, keep them nice and close together.  Bake for about 15 minutes until the tops are a bit golden.



The dough from my first attempt.. 

I made half the recipe to make sure they turned out...
Bad idea, because they turned out perfectly, and it left me with only four!



 
 
These are a bit sweet (in an almost Hawaiian Sweet Roll kinda way) with using the coconut milk to make the buttermilk. They are soft and fluffy with a great buttery flavor. Take my advice and don't make half a batch, unless of course you are maybe going on a beach vacay in the near future! ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment