Thursday, May 14, 2015

Not Your Mama's Taco Salad! (GF & DF)

Taco Salad is a staple at most fiestas.





As you can imagine I do it A LOT different than the norm.




No Doritos for this girl!  Of course no cheese (no one even misses it!)...and definitely more veges!




This is so delicious.... no one even realizes how healthy it is!  When I tell them what's in it they don't believe me.  Everyone always ask for the recipe, which got me wondering why on earth have I not shared it with you all yet?!


Miss Kat's Rainbow Taco Salad





1 bag of spinach
1 bag of baby kale
1 bunch of cilantro
1 C shredded carrots
1 red onion- diced
1 C diced sweet baby peppers
1 C sliced cherry tomatoes
1 can organic black beans- drain and rinse
1 jalapeno- diced
1 1/2 lb ground turkey
1/4 C  (or more- to taste) taco seasoning- I make my own, find out how here.
1 bottle of Original Western Dressing- (don't go with the low fat- it's full of more garbage)
1 bag of your favorite tacoish chips- try to keep it healthy here (and obviously GF)- I love Aldi's Live GFree brown rice crisps in the Sweet Chili flavor, but any would work.





Throw the turkey in a pan with the jalapeno.  Once brown, add 1/2 C water, the taco seasoning, and the black beans.  Let it simmer while you get the veges ready.  Chop the spinach, kale, and cilantro.  Dice the peppers and onion.  Slice the tomatoes.  Once the seasoning has thickened up a bit with the turkey let this mixture cool.  Crush your bag of chips.  Throw everything together.  Pour the dressing over and stir carefully.




I usually prep everything and them mix it up when I get wherever I'm going so nothing gets soggy.  I throw all the greens in the container I will serve it in.  I keep the carrots, onion, peppers, and tomatoes in a separate container.  The turkey bean mixture goes in another container with a bit of the dressing mixed in to keep it moist.  Then when its time to serve it I throw everything on top of the greens and stir it up carefully as I add the rest of the dressing.



See how colorful!





I made it to take to a lunch birthday party at work for us May birthday girls.  I don't think there were many that didn't go back for seconds!




No comments :

Post a Comment