Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Always be a superhero...

It helps if you have your uniform ready! 😜


Music talks to me loud and clear.  Isn't it funny how you hear song lyrics exactly when they seem the most relevant to your life?

Soon after I was diagnosed with colitis I remember having one of those gutsy girl days, the ones where you don't know if you can pick yourself up off the floor because it hurts so bad kinda days.  But my kiddos needed me at school so I put enough makeup on to not look like an extra from the set of a zombie movie and got in my truck.  As soon as I turned the key, The Script was singing "Superheroes" to me.   I started crying, I mean just let it all out! Every day, every hour I really was turning the pain into power.  I wasn't going to let this end my life, I was going to learn from this, and I was going to help others learn from this.  If I can handle celiac disease what's one more autoimmune disease right?! 

The line "he's got a beast in his belly that's so hard to control" really resonated with me that day.  EVERYTHING about that statement was true.  I had just been diagnosed with colitis and was still trying to feel normal again after being in the hospital.  I was trying to get off the prescription meds because they made me feel icky and I didn't want to accept that I would have to be on them for life (I'm not... Yay!).  I changed my diet again, completely eliminating dairy.   The worst part was my beloved green smoothies that made me feel alive and well were too much for the current jalopy state of my digestive system.  I felt like everything I worked so hard for was falling apart and I was right back at the first lap and already out of fuel. But I realized that this all really was how I was learning how to fly! 



I heard that song exactly when I needed to hear it, and the lesson it taught me has stuck with me ever since...

Always be a superhero... 

I was Mrs. Incredibe for Halloween and was asked to bust the uniform out again to make an appearance at a girls summer camp today.  It was super fun!  And a good reminder to always be the girl that those kiddos think I am while wearing that uniform! Always be a superhero! 

No comments :

Post a Comment