Thursday, July 21, 2016

Little Yogis: How I get kids (as young as two!) to yoga!!


Mini Me!
I love life as a preschool teacher!  I especially LOVE incorporating yoga and nutrition into the kiddos education!
People have a hard time wrapping their minds around the fact that I teach yoga to kiddos, especially when I tell them that some of those kiddos are as young as two! 


Basically it is about getting them moving, stretching, balancing, breathing, and learning that exercise IS important!  It doesn't always go as planned, but that's the beauty of it! 

They have an attention span ranging from 15-30 minutes. I plan a themed sequence (like ocean or transportation, for example) and I adapt it as we go along.  There are usually clear favorite poses (airplane and shark!) and they want to do those over and over! Then they want to come up with their own poses too! They love to show me what they can do and what they practice at home! 

We do a lot of games where I will put pose names that I know are their faves on shapes in a bucket and let them take turns choosing out of the bucket.  It's all about making it fun!


The most fun part for them is my yogi spray! When I demo or say a pose and they try it I will come around with the yogi spray and give them a little calming squirt! It's such a fun way to encourage them to really try the poses! 

Yes it gets a little giggly and loud, but the calming lavender oil kinda balances out the crazy! And it gets them breathing in deep because they love the smell! 

Just mix all the ingredients in a pray bottle.  Add a little more lavender if you want, totally up to you!  I use a metal or plastic bottle, I know, not the greatest to use with oils, but I don't want glass around these crazy little yogis! :)

They LOVE to see me stand on my head..
I'll reward them with this if they do a great job!




No comments :

Post a Comment