Friday, October 7, 2016

A gutsy girls guide to road trips... traveling with celiac and colitis.

This Dorothy is off to Kansas City for the weekend!  I'm packing up and heading west for a family wedding and I couldn't be more excited about getting the chance to dance, catch up with family, celebrate an amazing couple, and get away for a bit for a much needed break!

As you can imagine, traveling as a gutsy girl is kinda involved.  There are lots of things to think about!  It can breed doubt and anxiety and suck all the fun out of it.  But don't you let it!

I used to let it.  Let the sheer overwhelmingness, worry, and fear hold me back.  I love spontaneity, and I felt that I was forced to loss that part of myself.  How can I just pick up and go adventure in an unknown place anymore when I constantly have to think about food or bathrooms?  I wanted to stay low maintenance and zen. Packing all this shit is the opposite of that.  But I decided who the f cares?!  Traveling a little differently is better than not traveling at all.

I never want to lose myself to these diseases.  I'm still me, just with more to think about and plan for... and that's ok.  It's a reality I can't change, so you simply learn to adapt.  Makes it even more of an adventure!

So here's my gutsy girls guide to traveling!

1.  Use your resources:
I've never been to Kansas.  Reach out to people who live there, your support groups, the family you are going to visit.

2.  Find me gluten free app:
This is amazing for road tripping.  You can search "near me"while you are driving and find places you can stop.  I always check the website and double check by calling to confirm they can feed me!

3.  Trust your gut.... vibes don't lie!
If you walk  into a place and it doesn't feel right, leave.  Simple as that.  I've done it many times.  And if they put food in front of you and it doesn't feel, look, or smell right ask questions! Don't eat it.  Talk to the manager.  It's your right to eat safely.  Don't let ANYONE take that from you.  Don't worry about what they think of you, or what your travel companions think of you, or who's feelings you might hurt.  Losing your tummy's happiness and health is not worth any of that.

4.  Choose your travel buddies wisely.
Surround yourself with people who get it!  Who care enough about you to care about your health.  I always say if you aren't on board with my health you are for the opposite, and thus I don't need you in my life.  Some people will treat you like you are an inconvenience, they will worry more about the public than you, they will make you feel bad.  It's happened to me before (even within my own family).  Don't let anyone make you feel that... you didn't choose to live this way.  Let them go if you must, or at least don't ever eat or travel with them!  They will be the ones missing out!

5.  Attempt to keep your zen and manage the stress beforehand:
I know I'm going to have anxiety.  I've accepted it and plan accordingly.  I prepare and pack ahead of time because last minute running around makes it worse.  I make sure to eat really clean leading up to it and hit yoga as much as I can.  This leaves me feeling overall better about life which makes everything go much smoother!

6. Snacks!
I'm queen of snacks! I eat a lot! I bring tons of snack whenever I travel, even if it's just like to the grocery store 😂!  Pack smart and plenty.  Things that can keep you satisfied in case it takes a while to find safe food.  Hangry is a real thing! Protein bars are a must! I always want a salty snack, so I bring plenty.  Apples, bananas, and cuties are good things to bring.  Hummus and carrots! Yum!  And I always want to feel included when it's time for dessert so I make sure to bring my own (a dairy free dark chocolate bar, cookies, etc..).

7.  Green juice!
My tummy runs on very specific fuel! I have green juice EVERYDAY.  Bring it with.  Keeping your tummy consistent while your surroundings aren't makes all the difference.

8. Ginger tea:
I always pack ginger tea just in case my tummy isn't happy.

9. Extra meds:
I don't take pharmacieticals anymore (thank GOD) but if you do bring everything with.  I always bring extra probiotics, digestive enzymes, inflammashield, ginger root, and aloe pills.

10. Essential Oils:
DigestZen is my BFF!  It's always in my purse!  I also travel with a small Diffuser because it helps me sleep better.  Gutsy girls need their beauty sleep for their tummys to be happy!

11. Know where the potties are and get comfortable saying when you need one!
We all do it, some of us more than others.  Lymphocytic colitis specifically has made me really comfortable talking poo with pretty much anyone! 😂

12. No cheating!!!
This goes without saying... BUT... no "well, it's ok, I'm on vacation" mentality! Gutsy girls don't cheat EVER. End of story!  Just not worth it friends!!

This is how I road trip! Obviously traveling by air is a bit different. I'll share tips on that in another post! Happy travels gutsy friends! 😘

No comments :

Post a Comment