Thursday, January 26, 2017

Garlic Herb Flatbread... Gluten Free & Vegan

When I was a child I literally lived on garlic bread.  Seriously, my body was composed of just garlic bread and dreams.

When I was diagnosed with celiac disease the dreams kinda became nightmares and the only thing left of the garlic bread was the tears I was trying to keep from filling my eyes.  

That little pity party lasted all of one afternoon while the emotions and fuzziness wore off from the drugs that knocked me out for my endoscopy!! 

I took some deep breaths, cleared both my head and my eyes and got my shit together.  That was when I decided not one damn thing was going to hold me back from living and living well with celiac disease, especially not garlic bread!  

Whenever I have a day where it gets me (because I'm not going to lie... I occasionally do) I make myself some garlic bread, take some deep breaths and handle it!

This recipe from Sara Bakes Gluten Free is an easy and delicious option that you can use in lots of ways.  I love her flour blend, but I switched this up and used fresh herbs instead of dried ! I did use her picture because mine wasn't so pretty! 😉😂. Thanks Sara! If you are new to the gluten free world she is an incredible resource, just FYI! 

 

Garlic and Herb Flatbread

Bread:
2 C GF flour blend- Sara's blend 
2 t baking powder
1/2 t sea salt
1 1/2 C sparkling water
2 T EVOO
1 T pure maple syrup or honey 

Topping:
2 T EVOO
3 garlic cloves- minced
1 t fresh regano
1 t fresh basil
1 t fresh rosemary 
1/4 t sea salt
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 450. Line a 12 x 9 baking sheet with parchment paper.  Dice your herbs up really fine.  Whisk together the topping ingredients and set aside.  Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add 2 T EVOO, sparkling water, and the syrup/honey.  Mix until just blends.  Pour into your pan and smooth out with a spatula.  Drizzle the topping on and spread it all over with a pastry brush.  Poke holes every inch or so.  Bake for about 20 minutes, turning the pan halfway.



No comments :

Post a Comment